Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Tradition of the Wishing Well



"The tradition of the wishing well begins in European folk history. The early Celts and Germanic people considered springs or streams to have healing and rejuvenating properties. Underground streams were an important sources of clear, fresh water.
A stream might emerge from a hillside, or be accessed by digging. Because water was a giver of life and therefore sacred, the water source was a magical, spiritual or holy place. To help protect the water, a structure was sometimes erected, with a roof or cover to keep debris or unwanted objects from falling in. A statue or carving might be set near the water.
A person could make a wish or ask for a blessing from the spirit(s) of the well. It's said that any wish spoken over the source of water would come true. People tossed silver or copper coins into the well or stream as thanks to the spirits, for good luck, or for helpful magic."

We do a lot of hoping and praying. Crossing fingers. Wishing on stars. Heck, I have a little baggy of "baby dust" on my dresser right now. I also stumbled across a small figurine of St. Anne, the patron Saint of Infertility, at a flea market and scooped it up! Doesn't matter that I'm not Catholic! There is also a little lake behind the office of my Reproductive Endocrinologist, and every time me and my husband go for a visit... I toss in a few pennies :)

Anything to make us feel like we have God and good luck on our side!  

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie... I had a Kokopelli hanging above my bed. I think he helped to bring my looooong awaited miracle baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have researched some and read about Kokopelli :)
    I hve tattoo ideas on Pinterest of him! His story is very cool

    ReplyDelete