Thursday, February 21, 2013

Too Taboo?

It's an all too common practice for people to hold fundraisers for various organizations, FFA, Sports Teams, Girl Scouts. We see them for charities and to raise awareness for other diseases and medical conditions like Childhood Cancers, AIDs, and Diabetes. You see them to raise money for families who lost a love one, or had a disaster of some kind. And most recently for funding Adoptions

So is it still too taboo to hold fundraisers and take donations to fund IVF?! One round of IVF with the required medications can cost upwards of $15,000 which is no small chunk of change for the average couple. You factor in all the money spent on other attempts such as injection medications and inseminations, tests, ultrasound monitoring and your looking at a couple who has spent their life savings and any money they can scrape up, just for the the opportunity...the *chance*... To maybe have a baby.

Is it still too taboo to do IVF fundraisers?
Anyone reading ever done one?
I'd love feedback on this topic!

4 comments:

  1. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all.
    If someone needed surgery there wouldn't be an issue with it so I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
    Bake sales and car washes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see it the same way!! Not sure I am currently in a place where I would be comfortable taking donations or asking for funds, but I find this an interesting double standard. The argument I hear most is that having children is a personal choice. My argument against that is that we didn't choose to NOT be able to do something that other women without PCOS or other medical conditions can do for free. I think it all goes back to, your asking for funds. It is up to the other person to decided if its a worth cause and they want to buy a raffle ticket, let you wash their car, buy some cookies, or just donate a $5 bill. You still have the option to say no and not support the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would absolutely accept donations!! Whatever gets us there :) And knowing what I know about infertility, I would donate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had "supplies" donated and THAT was a huge huge factor in us being able to do the one injection cycle we have under our belt. with out those, it would have been much longer before we could get there. We did get assistance from my parents for both our IUI's. and i would gladly accept donations. Not sure im comfortable asking for them just yet. Even it is is attached to the purchase of a brownie or a silly silicone bracelet.

    ReplyDelete